Occupational Medicine Program
What is Occupational Medicine?
Occupational medicine is the medical specialty that focuses on worker health, workplace injury and illness prevention, and how best to return injured and ill workers to full activity and function. Specialists in this field have a good understanding of the needs of the various stakeholders involved in a workers compensation claim and can help everyone, and especially the injured worker, navigate this sometimes complicated process.
Dr. Ryan Otten is board certified in occupational medicine and is one of the small number of occupational medicine practitioners nationwide to have completed a residency in this specialty. Here at RIW, he takes an evidence-based approach to managing work-related injuries, only considering treatments and therapies that are supported by good research. He is also a strong believer in early return to activity for most musculoskeletal injuries, which has been proven to accelerate recovery, shorten claims, and reduce lost income for the worker and overall claim costs.
What We Offer at RIW
- Evaluation and treatment of work-related injuries and illnesses
- Onsite physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, and industrial psychology
- Ability to place and coordinate referrals to outside specialists as needed
- Management of complex and/or multi-claim cases
- Management of catastrophic injuries, in partnership with outside providers
- Management of work-related concussions and traumatic brain injuries
- Occupational medicine consultations, including causality determinations
- Impairment ratings
- Fit for duty exams
- Completion of all pertinent forms, including ROAs, PIRs, APFs, and FMLA
To make a referral, please contact our office at (206) 859-5030, or visit our referrals page.